Notice: Paving from Belmar to Brandon is scheduled to begin the week of May 23. If you see the paving in progress please refrain from using that section if possible. Equipment will be coming up from Brandon.
Allegheny River & Samuel Justus Trails
Artifacts from the oil boom of the late
1800's are apparent. About midway between Franklin and Oil City, is the stately River Ridge mansion
and farm of the late US Senator Joseph P. Sibley who acquired a considerable fortune from the early
oil industry. Oil well locations can be seen all along the river and trail - some abandoned for 100
years or more. John Wilkes Booth was part owner of an unsuccessful 1864 well which was one mile south
of Franklin very near the trail.
The Sandy Creek Trail
The Sandy Creek, built between 2000 and 2005, has 12 miles of asphalt surface, 7 pedestrian-safe bridges and a tunnel. The eastern section of this
trail winds 8 miles along East Sandy Creek through some of Pennsylvania’s most spectacular hills, valleys, and forest. The trail runs east and west,
crossing over the Allegheny River and the Allegheny River Trail 5 miles south of Franklin. The Belmar Bridge is 1385 feet long with a wooden deck and
railings and a great view of the river valley. More...
Oil Creek State Park
The scenic 9.7 mile asphalt trail is built on a historic railroad grade which runs parallel
to Oil Creek through wooded park land. The trail is suitable for users of every level of
conditioning. Creek vistas, restrooms, and picnic areas are strategically located along
the trail. More...
Two Mile Run Mountain Bike Trails
The park is 2,695 acres of mostly wooded land with 20 miles of trail suitable for mountain
bikes. The trails are primarily single-track, and challenging. The park is beginning an
extensive trail marking project that will identify at least three loop-trails of varying
length and difficulty. If you are unfamiliar with the park, be sure to get a map from the
park office. A micro-burst in the summer of 2003 caused significant damage to the trail
system. The park has now (2005) removed most of the blown down timber and is working to
reconstruct the trails. More...